Friday, May 20, 2011

How to Get Cream for Your Coffee (in France)

We come from the land of eternal choices, I realize.  Liviing in ANY other country for awhile convinces you that we have too much, too many choices in too many daily items of living.  But when it comes to cream in my coffee--now, we're messing with a morning ritual which MUST NOT be messed with!!  So--I go to the grocery store to obtain coffee cream (and those who know me well know that I have my grandmother's lactose intolerance, and therefore look for NON-dairy options first)--no such thing as soy creamer, or non-dairy "creamer".  Next option (good thing I brought Costco's lactase tabs with me):  look for creamer in the dairy case, where the milk ought to be.  Only most milk in France has added preservatives, so that it's not refrigerated at all . . . OK, here are my choices:  lait fraiche, "lactel" (milk with lactase already in it), creme legere semi-epaisse, creme entiere, creme fluide legere, creme epaisse legere (which turns out to be sour cream), creme fraiche epaisse entiere (which turns out to be what you'd put on strawberry shortcake).  My solution?  Purchase one of each and try them all!  (I like the creme entiere fluide, myself).  And in French class they only told us there was one word for milk (lait) and one for cream (creme)--who were they kidding?  Had they ever been to France when they told us those lies?!  Another of my childhood reveries dashed to pieces (but if you need cream anytime soon, come visit me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment